Issues from the digests and Wout's list

Orion Henry ohenry at sdcc10.ucsd.edu
Tue Apr 22 03:23:15 CEST 1997

> In <199704170238.CAA492348 at out1.ibm.net>, on 04/16/97
>    at 10:51 AM, "Shawn Halpenny" <rsh at dos.nortel.com> said:

> >> <shake head>
> >>
> >> The only outstanding one I can remember here is suggesting
> >> command compleation ala:
> >>
> >>   > get bag
> >>   Do you want the:
> >>     1 -- Mouldy sack
> >>     2 -- Paper bag
> >>     3 -- Leather satchel
> >>     0 -- Cancel command
> >>   >> 3
> >>   You take the leather satchel,
> >>
> >> I currently do this, with caveats for nested compleations,
> >> multiple character support (multi-playing) and priority
> >> interrupts.
>
> >I remember a posting to one of the ng's a while back in this vein,
>
> Yup, probably me with Orion Henry.  I seem to be this feature's only
> champion.

	Oh ya, I remember this one :)

> >...and I wondered then, as now, what happens if the poor sod who just
> >typed "get bag" and was suddenly attacked by UggUgg.
>
> These are the priority interrupts I mention above.  I'll quote from
> the old list and the discussion with Orion:
>
> --<cut>--
>
> I also allow the user to enter commands which bypass the filter and
> head straight for the parser without the extra processing.  This
> allows:
>
>   > get bag
>   You are attacked by the Kobold!
>   Do you want the:
>     1) Red bag
>     2) Tattered paper bag
>     3) Mouldy sack
>     0) Cancel command
>   The kobold hits you with his club.  That hurt!
>   >> !! retaliate                // "ret" would have done as well
>   You attack the kobold.
>   The kobold slams his head into your stomache.  Ouch!
>   The kobold blocks your blow with his shield.
>   >> !! ret with ls
>   You attack the kobold with the longsword.
>   Your blow chops the kobold's arm off!
>   The kobold drop his shield.
>   The kobold's club crunches into your shoulder.  You moan!
>   >> 2
>   You take the tattered paper bag.
>   Your weak lunge misses the kobold.
>   ...etc.
>
> Aside: I *REALLY* dislike combat systems where the attacked player
> automatically begins retaliating/fighting without an explicit command
> to.
>
> --<cut>--

	My only real objection to the above is this:  If I have a brain fart
when the kobold walks in and forget all my '!!'s I dont want my commands
interupted by any filter.  Remembering if I was at the basic prompt or if I
was in a sub menu during a fight would be the last thing on my mind in the
midst of a mortal fray.

	The kobold stabs you in the knee-cap.
	>> ret with ls
	Please select a bag (0 - 3)
	The kobold stabs you in the foot!  Ouch!
	>> ret with ls
	Please select a bag (0 - 3)
	>> flee
	The kobold takes your left leg off at the knee. Oh, the blood!
	>> !! flee
	You can't go anywhere in this condition!
	>> !! curse
	You swear loudly and for a long time.

	Cheers,
	Orion